Monday, May 21, 2012

NATO Part One~The Next Generation

It is 12:30 a.m., I am  physically exhausted after a day of marching, chanting, and singing in the heat and sunshine surrounded by the intense energy of the NATO protest in Chicago. My mind, however, is alight with images and thoughts as I have poured through the reports I've seen on the news and social networking sites. I feel the need to recount my experience while its fresh in my minds eye.
There are so many things I feel I need to say. There are powerful emotions and moments that evoked them that I must share.
Before I indulge in a point-counter-point dialogue in response to some of the rumors I've been hearing (including the "news" reports) I have to share one of the personal highlights of Flower Child Grandma's day out with my 11 year old granddaughter, Alita.
 Today was a rite of passage for Alita. Protests and rallies are familiar territory for  her and her sister Jenna. In the early days of the war in Iraq Alita was with us as we protested. In a baby carrier or stroller , like most of our family, she made her debut into the community of activists.
Last year while I joined thousands in Madison Wisconsin in the dead of winter, the girls stayed behind; not quite old enough to tolerate long hours of nasty weather miles away from home. But now, after nearly of year of cutting her teeth on smaller local Occupy events, the time seemed right and she accepted my invitation with enthusiasm. A visit to Chicago, other than school field trips, was a new opportunity for Alita. For me Chicago holds many childhood memories, my first experiences with a Big City and a place where I was treated to special trips with my own Grandmother. I was as excited about this trip as Alita was and looking forward to another generation of bonding in the Windy City. My bonding with Grandma took place over treats at Woolworths, in and out of shops and long walks down noisy, dusty streets and the wonder of buildings so tall they made me dizzy. Alita's was similar yet, let's say, a bit more edgy.
Today it became evident that Alita really 'gets it'; the spirit and technique of non-violent resistance and freedom of expression. When we passed a particularly icy row of  state troopers, clad in Robocop riot gear, batons in hand, she confidently raised her hand in a peace sign, shot a smile and chanted clearly "I don't see a riot here, why you wearing riot gear?". There was no contempt or defiance in her approach, only rational direct confrontation, with a touch of innocence. For a moment I tensed, ready to intervene. Was this bright and beautiful girl going to become the next poster child for callous authoritarian posturing? (like the screaming pepper spray victims of last fall). In the same way we we let go of that gentle support as a child finds their balance on their first two wheeler bike I stood by watching with pride as she balanced and coasted, testing her voice and finding her power. Another Flower Child blossoms.

I will be back with more of the NATO protest, but on that note I'm off to sweet dreams of a better world that may very well come to be.
Peace,
Jenny

2 comments:

  1. I remember that chant. Spent most of the day with the group that started it. Very, very fun people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog article and your photos I have shared it on my page you. Thanks for all you do even though I am in Australia.

    Peace Clare xxx

    ReplyDelete